This BIOLOGY curriculum for high school is comprehensive and engaging- without all the fluff! The lessons, labs, guided Cornell notes, doodle notes, projects, and assessments included in this course provide everything you need for a full year of high school Biology. Each lesson is creative, rigorous, and designed to align with NGSS and state standards.
PLEASE NOTE: This Biology curriculum is a virtual product and only comes as a downloadable .zip file to your email inbox.
Save precious planning time! The hundreds of resources in this Biology curriculum are ready to use, making them perfect for new or first-time teachers. Many portions of this Biology course are also editable (pacing guides, PowerPoints, Cornell Notes, task cards, quizzes, & tests) making it one of the most editable courses available. (See more details on editing near the bottom of this description.)
Need to adjust content for your particular class? Differentiation guides are included to help you modify for different abilities, learning environments, and student interests. Student pages come in both PRINT and DIGITAL versions for efficient use in class or through distance learning. Resources are included for both on-level and honors students, giving you the ability to teach classes on two separate levels or integrate honors students into your regular classroom.
➤INCLUDED IN THIS BIOLOGY CURRICULUM:
-170 unit planning pages:
- NGSS and several state standards alignments
- Editable daily pacing guides
- Differentiation ideas for student interest, ability, and learning environment (in-class, virtual, or hybrid)
- Greek and Latin terminology to encourage scientific literacy
- 13 full-color, animated, and editable PowerPoint presentations (nearly 600 slides!)
- 73 pages of Cornell notes in both fill-in-the-blank and editable versions for easy differentiation
- 30 pages of my popular and fun Doodle Notes that increase student comprehension and engagement
-62 labs and activities:
- 5 station labs
- 17 inquiry/wet labs
- 15 activities
- 11 projects
- 4 class discussions
- 7 modeling activities
- 3 games
-55 Extension Pages:
- Digging Deeper: Provides critical thinking, scientific literacy, and greater depth of knowledge
- Data Analysis: Prepares students for standardized testing with graph interpretation and math skills
-Editable Task Cards: 200+ task cards for quick and easy class review
-10 Online Quizzes through Google Forms for easy grading
-12 Editable paper tests:
- Multiple-choice, matching, and short-answer questions on every test
- Both regular and honors versions included with answer sheets and teacher keys
- Editable Midterm & Final Exams
- 250+ illustrated vocabulary terms for word walls, review, etc
- 1 cumulative student project
- First-week resources: editable syllabus, lab contract, lab safety rules PPT
- Tips for choosing a textbook (with several recommendations)
- Guides to using Cornell notes and Doodle notes in your classroom
- Additional pages: student homework logs, lesson plan template
*Click on the included images or links below to get a closer look at the resources available in this bundle.*
To see an overview of all the files in this Biology curriculum, watch this preview.
➤What units are included in this Biology curriculum?
- Unit 1- Intro to Biology (lab safety, characteristics of life, scientific methods)
- Unit 2- Chemistry of Life (atoms, macromolecules, enzymes, water)
- Unit 3- Cell Structure & Function (organelles, tonicity, cell transport)
- Unit 4- Cellular Energy (ATP, photosynthesis, cellular respiration)
- Unit 5- Cell Cycle (cell size, mitosis, cancer)
- Unit 6- Intro to Genetics (Punnett squares, complex inheritance patterns)
- Unit 7- DNA & Protein Synthesis (structure of DNA, transcription, translation)
- Unit 8- Biotechnology (cloning, DNA manipulation, genetic engineering)
- Unit 9- Evolution (natural selection, population genetics, speciation)
- Unit 10- Classification (cladograms, taxonomic relationships)
- Unit 11- Ecology (food webs, biogeochemical cycles)
- Unit 12- Environmental Stability (population growth, succession, sustainability)
➤Why choose a Biology curriculum from Suburban Science?
1) With over 10 years of experience creating educational resources, a unit from Suburban Science brings peace of mind that you’re getting fun, creative, and thorough resources without the fluff!
2) The included NGSS, state standards, pacing guides, and differentiation ideas make lesson planning a breeze.
2) Student pages are compiled into one document that’s ready to print and copy all at once!
3) Colorful, animated PowerPoints have bolded terms that match the fill-in-the-blank Cornell Notes for error-proof student notes.
4) Doodle Notes provide additional methods for summarizing and note-taking in a highly visual and aesthetic format.
4) Thorough teacher instructions and student examples are included for new teachers, but it’s still easy for experienced teachers to add in old favorites!
5) Editable PowerPoints, Cornell Notes, and assessments make it quick and easy for you to add or remove content to fit your standards and the needs of your class.
➤Teaching virtual students this year?
All student pages and presentations included in this curriculum are available in PRINT or DIGITAL through Google Slides™ to be completed at home or in a 1:1 classroom. Students can view the PowerPoint at home, type on the pages, fill in diagrams, and even color Doodle Notes™! These digital pages work for any learning platform in which students can access Google Slides™ (Google Classroom™, Microsoft OneDrive™, Canvas™, etc). If you’re not sure whether the digital version will work for your students, just send me an email at [email protected] and I can give you a free sample to test.
I have taught Biology both in classroom settings and virtually through homeschool courses. Although this course was not designed specifically for individual homeschool use, the materials and resources included can be easily found at home and/or completed in a virtual or homeschool setting. If you’re looking for a homeschool Biology course for one student, please check out my website.
The curriculum is aligned to NGSS and many state standards. If you’d like to know whether your state standards are covered, you can send me an email at [email protected].
All NGSS Life Science & some Earth/Space Science standards are addressed in this Biology curriculum. Additional details on standards are included in the teacher planning pages of this course.
➤How does this Biology curriculum prepare my students to succeed in higher education?
The editable Cornell notes used in this course are a great tool for students to use in college and beyond. Guided notes with blanks are included as students learn note-taking skills. Because the notes are editable, scaffolded sections of the Cornell notes can be removed as student skills progress, providing a more challenging and realistic note-taking experience.
The unique extension pages included in this unit provide an increased depth of knowledge and opportunities for critical thinking, data analysis, and math calculations. These skills are crucial for success in standardized tests like state EOCs, SAT, & ACT as well as in future science courses.
I use Greek and Latin prefixes, suffixes, and roots in context. A list of these terms is included and I encourage my students to practice these regularly. Familiarity with these terms allows students to understand and memorize new terms more easily and allows them to be more scientifically literate citizens.
➤What textbook can I use with this curriculum?
This Biology curriculum is comprehensive enough to stand on its own without a textbook. If you prefer to use one, this unit follows the topics and level of detail in the Miller & Levine Biology textbook, which many teachers use. For other textbook suggestions, simply send me an email at [email protected].
➤Can I edit these resources to fit my needs?
Some of the files in this unit are editable. The text on the PowerPoints, Cornell Notes, and task cards is all editable so you can adjust the level of content and wording. The pacing guide, Google Forms quizzes, and printable unit tests are all fully editable. Labs, activities, extension pages, and any images included in this unit are in non-editable PDF formats to protect my intellectual property rights and those of the illustrators whose images I’ve purchased for use in this resource.
➤Can I pay with a purchase order?
Yes! Use this form to submit a request for your school or organization.