These environmental lesson plans will help your students to take charge of their learning! This comprehensive course is interactive, hands-on, and student-centered! Students learn about major environmental issues in modern society through detailed lessons and activities. Units cover the four spheres of the earth (lithosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, biosphere), and human impacts on the environment are interwoven through each lesson to provide students with a good basis for any environmental science, earth systems, or AP environmental science course. All units are aligned to NGSS standards.
Save precious planning time! The labs, PowerPoints, Cornell notes, doodle notes, activities, math and literacy extensions, online quizzes, task cards, and editable tests included in this curriculum are ready to use! Student pages come in both PRINT and DIGITAL versions for efficient use in class or through distance learning.
Need to adjust content for your particular class? Differentiation guides are included to help you modify for different abilities, learning environments, and student interests. Many portions of this curriculum are also editable (pacing guides, PowerPoints, Cornell notes, task cards, quizzes, & tests) making it one of the most editable courses available. (See more details on editing near the bottom of this description.)
- Over 100 teacher planning Pages: standards documents, editable daily pacing guides, differentiation ideas for student interest, ability, and learning environment
- PowerPoints: nearly 400 editable slides- highly visual and fully animated
- 45 pages of Cornell Notes: both fill-in-the-blank and editable versions included
- 22 web-quests with corresponding student pages for independent learning
- 27 pages of Doodle Notes(TM) and a guide to using them in your classroom
- 63 labs & activities: field activities, group projects, games, discussions, inquiry labs, and research projects
- 71 extension Pages: scientific literacy pages, critical thinking assignments, and math skills such as interpreting graphs and calculating in context
- 15 quizzes: available through Google Forms for automatic online grading
- 192 editable task cards for a quick and easy unit review
- 9 editable unit tests with multiple-choice and short-answer questions (in both honors and regular versions)
- Supplementary resource ideas: links and videos for additional explanation or exploration
- Answer keys and grading rubrics for all student pages
- Bonus Files:
- 40 pages of pacing guides, planning documents, and teacher templates
- Midterm Exam: 50 multiple-choice questions & 6 free response
- Final Exam: 60 multiple-choice questions & 7 free response
The curriculum is aligned to NGSS and covers most state standards (including TEKS for Environmental Systems). If you’d like to know which of your state standards are covered, you can send me an email at [email protected].
NGSS addressed in this unit: HS-ESS2-2, HS-ESS2-3, HS-ESS2-4, HS-ESS2-5, HS-ESS2-6, HS-ESS2-7, HS-ESS3-1, HS-ESS3-2, HS-ESS3-3, HS-ESS3-4, HS-ESS3-5, HS-ESS3-6, HS-ETS1-1, HS-ETS1-2, HS-ETS1-3, HS-LS2-, HS-LS2-2, HS-LS2-4, HS-LS2-5, HS-LS2-6, HS-LS2-7, HS-LS2-8, HS-LS4-6, HS-PS3-3. Additional details on standards are included in the teacher planning pages of this course.
*For more details about the specific topics and items included, please see the PREVIEW.*
➤These lessons would work well for you if:
- Your class has daily access to technology (laptops, computers, tablets)
- You enjoy having choices for content instruction including lecture and independent learning
- You enjoy guiding student learning with activities and projects
- You have access to outdoor space (although not required, some activities recommend this)
➤What curriculum could I use with this lesson?
This lesson is ideally geared toward high school students and would work well with a high school-level Environmental Science or Biology textbook. It also addresses most topics in AP Environmental Science (APES).
➤New to teaching Environmental Science? Here’s how this unit will save you time:
- The included NGSS, state standards, pacing guides, and differentiation ideas make lesson planning a breeze.
- Multiple options for content delivery are included for built-in differentiation. Use web-quests for independent or 1:1 classes or use the PowerPoints and guided notes for classes that need more structure.
- Student pages are compiled into one document that’s ready to print and copy all at once!
- The PowerPoints coincide perfectly with the Cornell Notes pages, making lectures easy. The PowerPoints even have bolded terms that match the fill-in-the-blank Cornell Notes for error-proof student notes!
- Teaching instructions, material lists, answer keys, student examples, and photos are all included so you’ll know exactly how to plan for and explain each activity to your students.
- Editable PowerPoints, Cornell Notes, and assessments make it quick and easy for you to add or remove content to fit your standards and the needs of your class.
➤How does this course prepare my students to succeed in higher education?
The editable Cornell notes used in this course are a great tool for students to use in college and beyond. Guided notes with blanks are included as students learn note-taking skills. Because the notes are editable, scaffolded sections of the Cornell notes can be removed as student skills progress, providing a more challenging and realistic note-taking experience.
Extension pages included in this course provide an increased depth of knowledge and opportunities for critical thinking, data analysis, and math calculations. These skills are crucial for success in standardized tests like the SAT & ACT as well as in future science courses.
➤Can I edit these resources to fit my needs?
Some of the files in this unit are editable. The text on the PowerPoints, Cornell Notes, and task cards is all editable so you can adjust the level of content and wording. The pacing guide, printable unit tests, midterm exam, final exam and online quizzes through Google Forms™ are all fully editable. Web-quests, activities, extension pages, and any images included in this unit are in non-editable PDF formats to protect my intellectual property rights and those of the illustrators whose images I’ve purchased for use in this resource.
➤Can I pay with a purchase order?
Yes! Use this form to submit a request for your school or organization