Want to incorporate more scientific literacy and critical thinking skills in your Environmental Science lessons?
These skill extension worksheets are a perfect addition to your Environmental Science or Biology curriculum. They include opportunities for analyzing and interpreting scientific data, critical thinking, and reading comprehension in the context of real-world science. These lessons can be used as homework pages, bell-ringers, sub plans or assignments for early finishers or honors students.
➤PLEASE NOTE: All of the extension pages in this bundle are also part of my Full Environmental Science Curriculum.
➤Three types of extension pages are included:
- Digging Deeper (45 pages): These are scientific literacy pages that aim to raise the level of difficulty in your Environmental Science course. Most include short reading passages followed by discussion questions that review the content and encourage critical thinking.
- Data Analysis (41 pages): These are math extension pages. They either provide opportunities for math calculations relating to the content or contain graphs for students to interpret. They are excellent for preparing students for standardized tests and upper-level science classes.
- Case Studies (6 pages): These pages include information on specific locations or events to bring real-world situations into the context of environmental science content.
➤Extension Pages organized by content:
- Intro to Env Sci- Cost-Benefit Analyses, Math Pretest & Review, Pseudoscience
- Biosphere– Energy Pyramids, Animal Relationships, Ecological Niches, Age Structure Diagrams, Population Ecology, Interspecific Competition, Speciation, Biodiversity Indices, Climatograms, Indicator Species, Invasive Species, Keystone Species, Vegetation and Climate
- Atmosphere- Atmospheric Composition, Carbon Residence Time, Solar Insolation, Deforestation, ENSO, Greenhouse Gases, The Ozone Layer, Atmospheric Pressure
- Geosphere- Lake Nyos Case Study, Plate Boundaries, Changes to Earth Systems, Land Formations, Soil Erosion, Porosity and Permeability, Soil Conservation, Mining, Soil Composition, Distribution of Energy, Global Energy Usage, Energy Conservation, Energy Efficiency in Lighting
- Hydrosphere- Mesquite Case Study, Effects of Deforestation on the Water Cycle, Eutrophication, Impacts of Irrigation, Well Lift Costs, Acid Rain, Dams, Riparian Zones, Aquifers, Sustainable Fishing, Photosynthesis in the Ocean, Coral Bleaching, Plastic Pollution
- Land Use & Sustainability- Global Seed Vault, Urban Air Pollution, Urban Health Issues, Forest Protection, Timber Harvesting, Noise Pollution, Road Design, Impacts of Agriculture, Water Shortages
Answer keys are included for all pages.
➤How can I use this in a virtual learning environment?
A Google Slides version of all the extension pages is included in this bundle. If your students have access to Google Slides, they can access the digital pages and type, draw, or insert images directly on the note pages. These are perfect for 1:1 classrooms.
*For more details about the specific topics and items included, please see my PREVIEW.*
➤Where can I find other Environmental Science lessons?